A Welcoming Faith Tradition:
Unitarian Universalism is a liberal religion not governed by creed or doctrine. The Universalist Church of America was founded in 1793, and the American Unitarian Association was founded in 1825. In 1961, the two merged to form football essay topics impromptu speech ideas the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA). Unitarian Universalists are people of many backgrounds and beliefs, focusing on issues relating to love, justice, and peace.
Members of the Unitarian Universalism religion represent many walks of life: atheist and agnostic, Buddhist, Christian, Earth-centered, Hindu, Humanist, Jewish, Muslim, etc. The seven Principles unite the members together.
- the inherent worth and dignity of every person
- justice, equity, and compassion in human relations
- acceptance of one another and encouragement of spiritual growth in our congregations
- a free and responsible search for truth and meaning
- the right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large
- the goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all
- respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part
Unitarian Universalism is a living tradition, drawing from sources as diverse as science, poetry, scripture, and personal experience. The basis of these seven Principles is rooted in the following sources:
- direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life
- words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love
- wisdom from the world’s religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life
- Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God’s love by loving our neighbors as ourselves
- Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit
- spiritual teachings of Earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life football essay topics impromptu speech ideas and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature
Unitarian Universalism welcomes you on your journey of faith.
For more information on the UUA, visit: http://www.uua.org/.
The UUA is organized into five regions. Prairie Lakes UU Fellowship belongs to the MidAmerica Region. For more information on the MidAmerica Region, visit: https://www.midamericauua.org/.